Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Last Digital Cinema class we watched Maya Deren's Meshes in the Afternoon. Overall I thought the film is visually interesting if nothing else. It was much more experimental in camera techniques and story than I was expecting from a film from the 40s. I was confused about some aspects of the plot and I think some of the more subtle symbolism just went over my head. It is definitely one of those movies that needs to be watched multiple times in order to catch every single piece of information. I thought from a technical standpoint it was very impressive with its use of multiple figures filmed separately and complied together, Dutch angles, and use of close ups with the actors eyes. At times (I think mostly due to how old it is) I felt the music was too loud and in some cases was distracting from the movie but overall it set up a nice atmosphere. Again, the camera techniques were the most impressive and revival some movies today (especially the scene where the actress is losing sense of gravity and hangs onto the walls and staircase for support).

No comments:

Post a Comment